Steer Clear of the Flu (and COVID-19) This Winter
The best way to avoid coming down with the flu is to get vaccinated with the flu shot. In addition, we recommend following the guidelines below. If the flu shot is not an option for you, it is extremely important that you follow as many of these guidelines as possible.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizing gel.
- Get the flu shot as soon as it becomes available, and discuss with your health care provider if you are due for other vaccinations.
- Stay home and limit your contact with others, especially if you are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a face covering in public places.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes.
- Use tissues for coughs and sneezes and dispose of them in the trash.
- Avoid large groups and practice physical distancing (stay at least six feet away from others) even when wearing a face covering or outside.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
- Avoid sharing objects.
- Get enough sleep.
- Reduce stress.
- Eat healthily and get regular exercise.
- Stay hydrated, especially with water (health professionals recommend 64 oz per day).